Monday, July 14, 2008

Some of My Favourite Photos


If you look through this blog, you will see that I took a lot of photos during my time in the Arab world. Most of them are straightforward record shots but occasionally I managed one that I am actually quite proud of.

Here's a selection of some of my favourite photos from elsewhere in this blog.


Mausoleum and Camel


I was taking a telephoto picture of the Aga Khan Mausoleum in Aswan, Egypt, when I noticed a movement on a nearby hill. A man on a camel! He paused just long enough for me to change to a shorter lens and fit both him and the mausoleum into my shot.
.

Tuareg Dancer
.

On one of our visits to the oasis town of Gahames in Libya, we were invited to a night-time celebration in the old slave market. This photo captures at least a little of the magical atmosphere of that night and of Ghadames.
.

Dog on a Beach


In Libya, we spent many happy Fridays lounging on Pigeon Island beach, east of Tripoli. Our dog, Dopey, loved the beach as much as we did.


The Treasury
.

At Petra, Jordan, you enter the ancient city through a narrow canyon whose walls are so high that they almost block out the light. Then, just when your eyes have adjusted to the semi-darkness, you turn a corner and there is the Treasury tomb.


Roman Doorway


The remains of the Severan forum at Leptis Magna, Libya, are so huge that they are difficult to do justice to in photographs. I think this shot of one of the forum's doorways gives a good impression of the ruins' size.


Horse and Turkey


Egypt is a chaotic country, where beauty often exists side by side with filth and poverty. I took this photo in the village near the Sphinx in 1970.
.

Inb Tulun Mosque

The Ibn Tulun Mosque in Cairo is one of the most beautiful buildings in North Africa. This photo shows how well the mosque reconciles simplicity and elegance.

No comments: